M106 Drizzle Test
The galaxy M106 has some very delicate dust lanes in its core. With my 1000mm FL setup, I would not be able to resolve much of it. So, tried 2x drizzle.
1) I created a full-frame stack (no drizzle).
2) Using a Custom Rectangle, I did a 2x drizzle around the M106 galaxy and another one around NGC 4217 (without the Custom Rect, I ran out of memory).
3) I thus ended up with 3 images: A 1x full frame, a 2x crop around M106 and a 2x crop around NGC 4217.
4) I opened the full frame in Photoshop and enlarged it 2x so the pixels would match the drizzle images.
5) I layered and aligned the two 2x images over top the full frame and did initial curves and levels
6) I then sharpened the cores of the galaxies using masks (SmartSharpen and/or High Pass filter, I can't remember)
7) I then reduced the image to its original size and continued with the rest of the processing
The result is here (note the dust lanes in the galaxy core)